Dental Sealants in New Westminster, BC
Tooth decay can be painful for your child and may result in the child missing school or avoiding eating. Dental sealants are tooth-colored, acrylic coatings painted onto premolars and molars to smoothen the tooth surface to help reduce cavities in these areas. Please contact our team dentists to address any concerns regarding baby or permanent teeth.
Our practice at Asante Dental Centre offers a range of preventive, restorative, and cosmetic dental care solutions for your entire family.
Who Should Get Sealants?
Teeth that erupt at the back of the mouth tend to have deep grooves and pits. These grooves and pits have a much higher chance of developing cavities as food tends to get stuck in them and they are difficult to clean. Sealants in New Westminster, BC are applied to premolars and molars to form a protective layer on the chewing surface. The sealant covers the deep grooves and pits, and the smooth surface keeps the tooth safe from trapped food and bacteria.
Decay in baby teeth can cause other teeth to decay and interfere with the spacing for permanent teeth. It’s important to keep primary teeth free of cavities to prevent premature tooth loss.
Sealants need to be checked regularly and replaced if needed as they may break down or fall out over time. Also as new teeth erupt, these will also need to be sealed. While sealants near you are effective in reducing the risk of cavities on the top of the teeth, children still need to follow good oral hygiene by brushing and flossing regularly to prevent cavities in between teeth.
Dental Sealant Procedure
Sealant treatment is a fast, painless, and simple procedure.
1. Our dentists in New Westminster, BC will make sure the tooth is clean and free of plaque.
2. We will use a rubber dam or cotton rolls to keep the tooth dry.
3. After applying some etching gel to roughen the surface and disinfect the tooth, we will again rinse and dry the tooth.
4. We will now apply the sealant directly to the tooth surface and harden it with blue LED light.
5. We will make sure the sealant is not interfering with your child’s bite and adjust it if necessary.
Once the treatment is over, your child can go back to school or consume food and drinks as usual. Please contact Asante Dental Centre today to learn more about how your child can benefit from dental sealants.